Friday, November 14, 2014

Allure Sample Society November 2014 Winter Survival Unboxing!

What it is: Allure Sample Society
Where to get it: BeautyBar.com
How much is it?: $15.00 monthly + tax
Types of Products: General skin, hair, body, and beauty products and make up.
What are the Perks?!: Often includes a full sized product and monthly $10 coupon off $50 purchase on BeautyBar.Com


Allure Sample Society November 2014: Winter Survival Unboxing and Review!



Woahhhhh boy. I think I'm in for a rough month of November. In so far, I have been extremely unhappy with all the preview and sneak peaks I have seen posted online. I really hope I don't seem so negative with my reviews this month! As per the norm, I have received my Allure Sample Society Box first this month. Unfortunately, I feel a little let down.

Let's take a look at the overall contents:

First thing that jumps out to me is that there really are no deluxe or full sized samples this month. Which, is usually the best part of Sample Society for me. This month the focus is Winter Survival and I get where they were going with it- but, they missed the mark a little with the products:

1. Malin + Goetz Bergamot Body Wash:
Full Sized Listed At: $18 for 8 oz or $32 for 16



Oh man. I am not on the Malin + Goetz train. Not a fan personally. I know the company has been pushing their product a lot through subscription boxes. But, I just can't get on the bandwagon. On top of which, I feel as if sending a sample of an overpriced body wash isn't going to change my tune. Hey- that's a personal preference and some people may really love it. And while I'm normally gungho on promoting NY companies- Malin + Goetz is a bit too reminiscent of Khiel's for my taste. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I want to try new stuff- not an old hat repackaged. Also, the scent and style of the product screams spring time to me- not survive the winter. Sorry!

2. Calvin Klein Reveal Sample Vial:
Full Sized Listed From $50-$90




ACK!! WHY??? WHY SAMPLE SOCIETY?? I really don't understand what I am paying for here. I totally understand that I am not going to get 100% of boxes I love or 100% of items I love. But, really, I feel like I paid for a free sample. Walk into any large department store and you can get this item for free. Maybe include the item as an extra. But, it is kind of upsetting that a free sample is being considered part of this month's box. Adding to the fact that not only am I extremely particular about perfumes- I'm not huge on Calvin Klein as an institution. I'm also still trying to figure out what this has to do with winter survival...


 3. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Omega+ Nourishing Oil:
Full Sized Listed At: $38





This is by far my favorite item in the box unfortunately. I'm all about the hair serums. However, the oil is a bit heavy- I guess that makes up for the SUPER tiny bottle. It does have a nice scent. I just think it's too heavy for my fine, oily hair. I'll update if I use the product and don't end up looking like a drowned rat!

4. Lorac Cobra Mascara:
Full Sized Listed At $20



Ok, you really can't go wrong with black mascara. This may be another one of my personal "issues." But, I have now collected an entire subscription sample box full of mascara samples. There are only SO many I can use. On top of which, I normally use eyelash extensions. I'm unsure how to feel about this. On one hand, trying all these mascaras give people the opportunity to find a product they really like. On the other hand, if every sub box consistently sends mascara every few months, we reach this conundrum of not even getting to try these new products before they expire. When there are literally billions of different beauty products and companies, why not live a little and explore some new stuff?

5. MD Solar Sciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm:
Full Sized Priced At: $39





I like how in the actual Beauty Bar booklet description, they literally say "This BB falls short in coverage..." I laughed when I saw this. It basically says to me, "Meh- this stuff isn't great. But, hey we threw a tiny, one/two use sample in for you because we couldn't get anything else this month." And, that's exactly how I feel. Also in the description, they state "It's a little greasy going on..." Nope. No thank you.


I'm sorry that I'm starting out a Negative Nancy this month. But, I'm really perplexed with the low quality of sub boxes that I'm slated to get this month. And, I feel like this is just the start. Maybe everyone is revving up for the holidays and December bags that will really wow this year. Until next month, I'm skeptical.

As per a rating, I am going to have to give Allure Sample Society November 2014 Winter Survival box a 2/10. (That's a huge fall from grace compared to my last month's 9/10 review). I feel like this was a throw away box were half the items would be free samples at the typical department store or specialty store like Sephora, the items were repetitive, and I didn't feel "winter survival" to be a strong theme. Sorry sample society! Maybe next month...


No comments:

Post a Comment