Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Unboxing! BirchBox December 2014: Decked Out!

What it is: BirchBox 
Where to get it: Birchbox.com
How much is it?: $10.00 monthly + tax
Types of Products: Skin, hair, body, and beauty products and make up.
What are the Perks?!: Review your products monthly to earn BirchBox points. Every 100 points earns $10 to use at BirchBox. If you refer a friend and they sign up, you get 50 points. You can stock pile up to 500 points at once. I've yet to do that though!


My BirchBox came today as well! They're really rolling out the boxes quick this month! Unfortunately, this isn't going to be my most positive review. Brace yourself and grab your fainting fans- we're in for a bumpy ride.


BirchBox December 2014: Decked Out Unboxing and Review!

I'll admit I loved the packaging for this month. And with all the AMAZING sneak peaks BirchBox released this month- I may have gotten myself a little worked up and VERY excited about this holiday box. Maybe that's why my let down is teetering on the point of being angry. Let's have a look:




Here's Our Menu (Also included is a $10 gift card to The Gap!):


The Haul:

1. Mirenesse Mattifying Lip Rouge in Sydney:
Sample Size at 1.7 g (Approx $7). Full Sized listed at 7 g for $29.

The first of many items I'm irritated about this month, I have received yet another RED lip gloss from BirchBox. Now, two months in a row. Even AFTER I rated that gloss badly. As soon as I saw this sneak peak, I knew I wouldn't want this and I dreaded getting this. I am not a Mirenesse fan and have been breathing heavy sighs of relief since that I haven't seen an item from them in any of my boxes since they've started their subscription box invasion. UGH!!!



2. Ojon Rare Blend Hair Oil:
Sample Size at 2 ml (Approx $1.50). Full Sized listed at $35 for 45 ml.

Oh, hair oil. Just what I've always dreamed of for my stick straight, fine hair. Maybe after I use it I can go ace an audition for one of Mother Firefly's new disciples in the next Rob Zombie film. Are you kidding me BirchBox?! $1.50 hair oil sample? Did you run out of all of your 57329057329053279 other awesome sneak peak items? No. Just... no...



3. Rusk Texture Dry Finishing Spray:
Sample Size at 1.5 oz (Approx $3.50). Full Size list at 8 oz for $18

Another useless hair product for me. This has compelled me to fully opt out of hair products from BirchBox. This was another sneak peak I was crossing my fingers not to really get once I realized it was hair spray. Does this mean after I make myself look liked a drowned rat, I can spray that sexy look into place? Now, I can't fault BirchBox for sending this to me. They don't know I have used hair spray like, once in my life. I guess I could use it in the emergency kit for my wedding. But, it's not worth much and generally a loss of item for me in my box this month. :(



4. SeaRX Microdermabrasion Face and and Body Scrub:
Sample Size at .3 oz (Approx $2.40). Full Sized listed at 3.5 oz for $28

This was me when I saw this item:



I was kind of irritated when I received this in last month's Ipsy bag. And, now I'm pissed that I got it again. This item has gotten mixed, at best, reviews on both Ipsy and Birchbox. I can't use it. I tried selling it on Ebay- nope. And, I literally can't give it away. Seriously. COME ON!!



5. Vasanti Cosmetics Kajal Extreme Intense Eye Pencil in Rose Gold:
Sample Size at .03 oz (Approx $13.50). Full Sized listed at .04 oz for $18

Sigh... This was my sample choice and I was extremely excited and looking forward to getting this item. Until I actually opened my box. The ONE thing I wanted and was excited about was open, broken, and had smeared all over all my other items and the inside of the box. This was kind of the tipping point for me that got me actually upset about this unboxing. I did try to clean up everything I unboxed for the photos here- so hopefully the Rose Gold Smears aren't too visible.

I swatched the color and it seems gorgeous. So, it's a shame that this is broken and may potentially be contaminated. ::Sad Face::




The Final Verdict!

Box Value: If my math is correct- discounting the $10 to The Gap (which is having it's own issues btw). My box is only really valued at around $25.

 Box Score: 0/10

Final Thoughts: Where to I begin. This is my first 0/10 boxing and hopefully my last. Through various forums as well as the BirchBox sneak peaks, I am well aware of the many high quality items being included in this month's BirchBox. Some examples off the top of my head are the Laura Mercier Finishing Powder and Fan Brush, Benefit They're Real Mascara, and Embryolisse Cream. Instead of any of these fabulous products, I received a $1s worth of hair oil and that stupid SeaRX sample and yet another RED lip gloss. I received 2 hair products that are completely useless to me. I literally could use nothing in my BirchBox this month. The only saving grace that I had was my sample choice of the Rose Gold liner- which came broken and potentially contaminated and had smeared all over the other items. Now, I know that this isn't BirchBox's fault- except for the fact that it was packed loosely with a loose cap in a basically bear box. But, it was the nail in the coffin. 

I have to say, that this box is far below the caliber of BirchBox. In fact, it is far below the caliber of the majority of BirchBoxes for this month. With such a show of all the amazing products I could possibly be receiving- I was sorely let down. If I wasn't such a gungho BirchBox fan and this was my first box, I would have cancelled immediately. And, I'm still without being able to try that Laura Mercier finishing powder and brush!!! The sour icing on the cake for me was the one item I was dying for and scrambling to get came broken due to kind of a haphazard packaging.

I know BirchBox has amazing customer service and I have already contacted them to try to rectify at least receiving a replacement Kajal liner. But, I know those were very popular and probably no longer available. Hopefully, I can work something out.

If anyone received one of the awesome BirchBoxes that went out this month- feel free to post a link to your unboxing in the comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment